Tutorial Tuesday with Manda!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hello, Manda here and today I am going to show you how to make a cute little origami heart which can be used as an embellishment or even a bookmark. There are a lot of photo's on this post so it looks like it is quite complicated but once you do one it is such a quick and easy thing to make. 

To make the heart you will need a reasonably thin paper. Origami paper is perfect or I used paper from a 6x6 pad. Double sided paper gives a pretty effect but it can be harder to fold if it is a heavier paper. You will also need a bone folder or something similar to make the creases sharp. 

First cut you paper into a rectangle it needs to be twice as long as it is high, I used 3" x 6" but if you wanted to do a bigger one you could use 4"x8" etc. 
Fold your paper in half so it looks like two squares side by side. Then fold each of the "squares" diagonally from both corners so your paper looks like it has two "x"s
Now carefully squeeze the middle of the two "x"s on the long side and flatten down so it makes a triangle, then repeat on the other side. It should now look like a square with flaps like this.
Then you take each of those flaps and fold towards the point of the triangle. Now it should look like the third picture above. Next fold the flaps back down and then bring the point of the flaps towards the corner as I have below.
Pinch open each of the flaps and then flatten down so you now have a square within a square. The next step is easy, take the top point and fold down the back so you have a diamond shape.
Now each of the squares on the front are folded toward the centre so you have shapes like little kites and fold the side corners of the large square backwards to finish your heart shape.
I used the hearts in a box frame to make a decoration for my wall but they are perfect to add to your layouts or cards. 
And as I mentioned they make cute little bookmarks for gifts too. 
I hope you enjoyed this tutorials and if you have any questions please ask them in the comments and I will try to answer them as best I can. Have a great day. 

3 Comments »

3 Responses to “Tutorial Tuesday with Manda! ”

Kimberly Kett said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wow!! Super cute hearts! Love them framed!!!

Brenda Lee said...

Adorable hearts! Thank you for the easy to follow tutorial. Will have to give it a try. I just found your blog from a forum. Would love to follow you via email but you don't have that available. I have too many blogs that I'm following on bloglovin' so I like to register for email updates for those blogs that I want to get updates whenever there's a post. Hope you add the options. :)