Show Me Sunday - A Tutorial by Debbie B!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Welcome to Show Me Sundays- my name is Debbie B and I'm a Frosted Design- Sketch Along Tuesdays team member and I'm excited to show you this week how to make some of your own handmade decorative pin embellishments. This is such an easy project for anyone to do -let me show you how.
First, gather all your supplies. I have several glues or adhesives in the photo- but you can choose which ever one works best for you. I tend to like my Yes paste the best (little bit sticky to work with), but the best adhesive for this project is a precision cement adhesive (made just for bead/jewelry making.) Of course you need the 2" head pins- which you can find at your craft stores for about $4.00 (pkg of 165) and your variety of decorative beads. I like to keep my baby wipes handy ...you might get a few sticky fingers from the glues. Simple tools like tweezers or pliers might be helpful -but not necessary.
Now that I have choosen my adhesives and several decorative beads and laid them all out the way I want them to be on the pins I can now start gluing. You can find so many beads at your local craft stores sold by the strand or individually- the hardest part will be choosing which ones you want- cause there all so pretty.

Above (sorry a bit blurred) is me dipping the top of the pin into the paste about 1/2 way and then I will put the beads on the pin- which you might have to add more paste if you have more than one bead.
After you have all your beads on you will apply a bit more glue underneath the last bead and then wipe away any access paste/glue.
When using the precision cement glue- you put your beads on first- then apply in small amounts of adhesive between each bead..not quite as messy to work with. I like to let my decorative pins dry lying flat on a non sticky surface such as my sheet of plastic or on foam board. Depending on the adhesive you choose- follow drying instructions- but usually a good 12 hours or overnite is great and can be ready to use on your project.
Once they have dried you can display/keep them in foam board (which I did to show you) or I have a great little tin box that I will keep mine in for future use. You can also decorate them up a bit more by tieing on some twine or thin ribbon.

So-now that you saw how easy this is - I bet your thinking about going out and getting some pins and beads and making some of these adorable decorative pins yourself. Well thanks for looking at my Show Me Sundays tutorial- and I hope that this was helpful and maybe sparked some new creativity in you.

18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Show Me Sunday - A Tutorial by Debbie B!”

Barb Craft said...

Debbie... these are gorgeous and so easy!! I will definitely be making a few of these for future cards and LOs!

barb :)

Jessica Goodpaster said...

Love this! Thanks for showing us, seeing a lot of this on LO's and cards.

Unknown said...

These look fabulous, thank so much for the how to!!

Jazmin said...

Your explanation was great!! Now I don't feel so intimidated. Thanx

Jazzy

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Wow Gorgeous!
hugs,
M

Debra said...

Stunning Pins! Your Tut is so timely! I am about to give this a whirl :) Thanks!

scrappinlil said...

Debbie...Thank you so much for your tutorial...I am thinking about making these...they look so easy. TFS

Linda said...

You have created some very beautiful pins!!
Thank you for the tutorial.

Maureen Reiss said...

Awesome!! I make jewelry, and these would be great to use up my left over beads! TFS

Karin said...

This tutorial is a must do! Can't wait to try it!

Ann said...

Debbie,
You have inspired me! I can't wait to give them a try!

Angela said...

OMG fabulous!!!

Fern said...

Debbie, this are beautiful, and thanks for the great tutorial, so easy!!!! Thank You!!! Hugs!!!

BugBites said...

These are great and so easy. I will have to give this a try.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [11 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Kentuckianna said...

Thanks for sharing how to make our own decorative pins. Now I won't have to drool over these premade pins in the stores, but do not buy because of the cost.

Starr said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Thank you for your tutorial. Are these hat pins? They are beautiful and I can see how they could be wrapped around the part of a decorative like safety pin that doesn't stick through the fabric-but see no reference to that?

Thanks,
Marty